Monday, October 1, 2007

Ummm....awkward

I had an awkward moment before I left for vacation a couple of weeks ago.

I went to pick something up from Dr. Rubin in his clinic. At the clinic registration area, there is currently a huge poster of me with a little explanation of what I'm doing with this Urbanathlon. The idea is to try and drum up more interest, but I'm not sure if it's working. (But maybe new blog discoverers can comment on this? Is the picture of me making you interested in what I'm doing or in GIRF?)

Anyhow, I'm standing there out front waiting for Linda, Dr. Rubin's awesome nurse (holla!) to come out and meet me, when this guy walks by, looks at me, stops, looks at the sign, looks back at me, and then says "Is that you?" I must have turned bright red, but then I replied, "yes." Anyhow, this particular individual (he runs GI drug trials) was super kind, thanking me for raising money for GIRF, blah blah blah, but I couldn't help feeling mortified that I was standing next to a life-size (OK, I'm exaggerating a little bit) image of me and that someone actually noticed. But at least the person was nice to me! So I guess that part made me feel good.

The whole experience made me kinda glad that I'm not famous, though. I can only imagine walking downtown and having someone point to a billboard with you on it and saying "Is that you?". And then asking for an autograph. But maybe if you're a celebrity you are more comfortable with having your face plastered everywhere.

No, thank you. Even one strategically placed picture for a good cause induces excess embarrassment for me (but only when I'm standing next to it).

Anything for a good cause!

2 comments:

dbfact said...

Perhaps the poster could replace the "morning" blog photo.

dbfact said...

Hey - remember when I wrote to you about antioxidants for your (overtraining)? Ben Gordon asked Dr. Oz (on Monday's Oprah) the most important think he could do to sustain his 2-3 x per day work-outs and Oz told him....antioxidants (he said Goji berries are the highest, which is cool, as they are also supposed to help with lucid dreams). I ordered you some, and will be dropping off some other stuff at U of C on 10/19. If I put them to your attention, will they get to you?