Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Let the training begin!

Thanks for visiting the blog. I think I'm a good five years late to the phenomenon, but I wanted to get the word out about a great and noble cause (not that I'm biased or anything). Also, I wanted to document the experience of one guy with a chronic disease (Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory bowel disease) who is still living a normal life. Many people in the United States and around the world have debilitating autoimmune diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and the incidence is increasing. But that shouldn't keep us from leading fulfilling lives without limits! Especially for younger folks who might have recently been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's Disease, I hope that this site can inspire you to work hard to achieve your future goals, regardless of what extra obstacles we have to overcome.

But the main thing I'm trying to do is...raise money. I will be participating in the 2007 Men's Health Urbanathlon in Chicago on October 20, 2007. I am seeking sponsorship/donations to the Gastroinstestinal Research Foundation (GIRF) at the University of Chicago to fund research into the causes and cures of a variety of GI-related diseases. If you are inspired by what I am doing here, please consider donating to a cause very close to my heart--I want to take care of the doctors who take care of me. And in the process, take care of a whole lot of other people with diseases like Crohn's.

Check back and I'll have more information about what I'm doing, how I am preparing for the Urbanathlon, more information about GIRF and how you can donate, and maybe every now and then some personal anecdotes about life with Crohn's Disease.

Thanks for your support!

No comments: