Friday, September 14, 2007

Woo-hoo!

I finally reached my max training mileage yesterday morning: 15 miles.

I am going beyond the distance for the Urbanathlon (approx. 12-13 miles) because 1) I don't know how winded the obstacle courses are going to make me, and 2) I only trained up to 22 miles for the Marathon 26 years ago under the assumption that "the adrenaline of the day would carry me through the last 4.2 miles." What a load of hooey.

I was excited because the weather was perfect for running, and I finished the whole 15 in 2 hours! So holding 8 minute miles made me happy (especially because when I was in 6th grade I couldn't even run 1 mile in 8 minutes...so I'm healing old psychological wounds). The cool thing about running this time of year is that while running North (I ran to the Shedd Aquarium from Hyde Park), it was all dark, and as I made my way back home, the sun started to rise. So it was like I was running in two different locations since the trail looks completely different with and without sunlight. On mornings like yesterday, it makes me think that I should go out for fun runs like that even if I'm not training for something.

But I know that without the goal/motivation, it ain't gonna happen.

Best part of yesterday: no resistance from the GI tract. Yay for my body!

I am going on vacation with Eileen to Oregon for a week, so this will likely be my last post for a while (maybe I'll get one in on vay-kay).

1 comment:

dbfact said...

The steps are gonna be brutal (more anaerobic than aerobic - better get that "Ring of Fire" going). Ten minutes+ worth in NY. Are you running any? If not, you could jump rope as a close approximate. You can aclimate pretty quickly if you start doing some now- also are you doing any upper body/strength work? My trainer would probably talk to you a little about the race if you want any last minute strength ideas(I was trying to get him to do the race with me, but they are aerobic wimps, and I can't run that far on my own). At a minimum, he would have you doing push-ups every day.