Monday, September 10, 2007

Ally's Law

I'm glad that I'm doing something to help other people with Crohn's Disease, but other people are doing much bigger and better things than I am.

Ally Bain is a younger sufferer of Crohn's Disease who basically wasn't allowed to use the restroom at a store when she was having what I term a "bathroom emergency", and as a result she had a very public and very embarassing accident. I can't even imagine what that must have been like for a teenager, but I'm glad that Ally and her mom turned it into a positive for everyone else. After this happened, they contacted their state legislator and eventually managed to get a law passed in Illinois: the Restroom Access Act, or "Ally's Law." As a result, now anyone with a Crohn's-y/unfortunate GI condition (where needing to use the bathroom can occur quite suddenly) must be given access to a restroom when they request it. I've been fortunate that this hasn't ever happened to me, but I know that many other CD sufferers have to schedule their day around having a restroom nearby, etc, and I think that this law is huge.

If you want more information about the Act, you can read it in its entirety here.

Or if you want to know more about Ally and exactly what went down (they can tell you better than I can), go here. Apparently not all states have this law...but they should! Individuals are trying to organize movements across the country to get similar laws passed throughout the country.

Way to go, Ally!

(Y'all know what's coming....)

Holla!

1 comment:

Ecolog Health Center said...

Well Done Ally! Proud of you! Great to see what a difference you have made. I'm interested to hear more about how you manage your symptoms associated with crohns.